The Blog of Damocles

The Chronicles of Aaron Employed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singers Glen, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Skipper's right.

The title links to a Slate review of Spike Lee's (who is a huge soccer fan) new movie When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts.

The movie is apparently a solid retelling of the undeniably awful events following Hurricane Katrina. (I haven't seen it, so perhaps you could visit Nick's site.... and perhaps he could update it for a first hand impression) Katrina highlighted for many the remaining racism and classism built into the system, having heard many stories from there I would have to agree. One particular frustrating example was on the radio show This American Life in which a story (After the Flood, 9/9/05, Episode 296 listen or read) was told of a group of people (predominantly African Americans) fleeing on foot who were prevented from leaving over a bridge to a predominantly white upperclass neighborhood. I was utterly outraged, and remain so.

My dad is going down in September to help rebuild - a year later - and as a volunteer, I don't think I could be more proud.


AP Review of the movie.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

thanks for the shout out. how nice it would be for me to update my blog. agh. BY THE WAY, i was watching CNN the other day and happened to catch a little blurb on college rankings. Turns out, Wheaton college has ranked extremely high on another list: Stone-cold sober schools. Thats right. Number one: Brigham Young. Number two? Wheaton! Man, you guys even beat Bob Jones University!

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog