The Blog of Damocles

The Chronicles of Aaron Employed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singers Glen, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What happens when you write textbooks....



So now that I'm totally engrossed in the textbook / curriculum guide writing process I am reminded of all "the crap I learned in high school" (thank you Paul Simon). Loewen's book deals with the details of the in class apportionment of the aforementioned (for out of class apportionment see any bad 80's movie). Specifically this book deals with the content of history books and how they got to be the farsical piece they now are. Politics (especially in TX, see Molly Ivins) plays some small role as does overly large personalities.
For the most part this book is a explanation of why most of our history texts don't look like The People's History of the United States, or anything else approaching that level of interest.

It's a good read - enough so that I'm blogging after spending all day on this durn machine.....

See also:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many books do you read a week? Do you ever sleep?
How is the job going? I actually saw a Rosetta Stone kiosk in the ATlanta airport the other day. I thought that was a great idea. I asked them if they knew you and they did not.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog