The Blog of Damocles

The Chronicles of Aaron Employed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singers Glen, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

New Feature.... Books.....

So, having been reinspired to put pen to paper (or finger to key, as it were) by Tara's cousin and world traveller Nick, I now bring you the somewhat daily and somewhat literary rantings from the world of Aaron.... Oh, and I will post a link to Amazon as well, so that if you are interested in the books.... well... buy it.

Let us begin at the beginning. Children's books.

Ok, that is a bit weird, I know. I don't usually read selections from the children's or young adult section, but alas having finished all of Pratchett's Discworld novels (which I loved), I was forced (really had to twist my own arm here) to check out some of his work for younger artists. So today's brief book review is on The Bromeliad Triology: Truckers, Diggers and Wings.

These books are some of the best and most engaging reading I've experienced for this level of development. It seems to me (and this may be because I've forgotten some of Rowlings work) that Pratchett's work explores more of what it means to be both human (in the form of the nome) and what belief and science are. Furthermore these novellettes appear to have far more adult centered puns (and a funny Discworld-esque explanation of what a pun is), and political references (including a subtle yet poignant dig at Dan Quayle in Wings). Because of this I think that they would make wonderful night-time reading, for both reader - and receiver.

The stories are pretty straight-forward, and therefore easy to understand in brief pre-bedtime snippets. Nomes, 4-inch high humanoids, live more-or-less peaceful life in a Store (which they consider the extent of the world) until Outsiders come in on a lorry with stories of sky without ceilings, and vast openness (and foxes). To throw a bit of chaos in the mix, the store is closing down, and an escape must be planned - much to the chagrin of many Insiders.

Diggers and Wings occur simultaneously after Truckers, and tell of further escapes and adventures. More importantly though they explain what it means to empathize, the value of education, the meaning of science and the difficulty of belief. All-in-all quite good reads, I wish these were around when I was a child.


1 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

i had no idea that i could be so inspiring! :) enjoying the book reviews so far...i'll try to pick some of these up

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog