The Blog of Damocles

The Chronicles of Aaron Employed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singers Glen, Virginia, United States

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Must Read - and no I'm not kidding



The Good Apprentice - Iris Murdoch
One of the top five books I would recommend reading (Red Sky at Morning, Franny and Zooey, The Blind Assassin, and Catch-22 are the others).

Far from a conventional novelist Murdoch pulls from her strong psychological and philosophical background to convert the characters into works of fiction-history-psyche and sexuality. This is not necessarily a great coming of age novel like Catcher in the Rye, or Red Sky at Morning, but rather a great story of consequences and connections, family and cognitive dissonance (just read the book and find out what I mean). The writing is absolutely brilliant, and the story engages from the first page to the last. To me I found the total suspension disbelief to be so complete that I could almost see the characters and their many foibles. It's truly difficult to find comparisons for this novel, and as such a unique and exemplary piece of writing it is well worth the read.
Rating A(+)
Related:
The Green Knight - same author

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaron, I agree. I think it is very suspicous that the elections are coming and the Repubs are in trouble and for some unknown reason gas prices go to a low they have not seen in a long time. Weird huh? It's a great time to buy a Hybrid. I still get 40 mpg w 80% fewer emmisions with the Camry.
Prices have leveled off too. All the idiots are back out buying Hummers again.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog