The Blog of Damocles

The Chronicles of Aaron Employed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singers Glen, Virginia, United States

Thursday, March 06, 2008

oddly enough


Japan Today - News - Fossilized elephant footprints dating back 16 million years found

So, apparently there were elephants in Hokkaido16 million years ago. Which seems oddly dubious considering other estimates for the rise of complex life at 15 million years ago. However, I won't entirely disagree with an estimate from a discipline that I know shockingly little (ancient elephants).

All this is of course prompted by the rest of my elephant dream which I (somewhat disturbingly) described to Tara last night. The backstory to my dream is that the elephants were imported into Hokkaido to help the deforestation process in order to settle the slopes of some mountain. This mountain looked like a cross between Mt. Fuji and Mt. Ascutney, and had oddly symmetrical stone walls. The elephants escaped the clutches of the foresters and began running willy-nilly tearing up the soil and exposing this huge Mayan-esque temple. The presence of the elephants raised this ancient deity and it was my impression that he was sorely vexed. And then Tara woke me up...

I have no idea what this means, but it sure was the most interesting dream I've had in a very long time. I know the whole notion of a Mayan temple in Japan smacks of Thor Heyerdahl's dubious anthropology; the elephants are a another striking anomaly and the scenery was strangely reminiscent of Vermont. I have no idea where this dream came from, but I'm open to random interpretations.

2 Comments:

Blogger tara said...

this is my favorite view of japanese elephants on mt ascutney

dude, lay off the hallucigens

11:23 AM  
Blogger bug seth tua pip said...

I read recently that Japan accounts for a significant amount (40%) of the worlds ivory consumption. That's of course neither here nor there. I wager you probably had the radio somewhere in the vicinity of your pillow at low volume, and it was just enough to hear fragments of broadcasts, which you then subconsiously took and wove into said dream. My best dreams happen when the BBC is scarcely in earshot as I sleep. My last dream of any record was of sheaves of wheat marching in rows of 29 in Bhutto's funeral procession, which due to some logistical error, was proceeding through the streets of Srebrenica. I woke up bothered and on the wrong side of the bed. Then I later read the BBC transcripts of the previous days broadcasts. There had been a program on the effects of Canadian wheat futures, followed by a story on Bhutto and then one on the events in Kosovo....all of this broadcast in the light of a leap year (29). I'm currently limiting my sonmial network intake and will only relapse when I need a dose of the abstract.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog