The Blog of Damocles

The Chronicles of Aaron Employed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singers Glen, Virginia, United States

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Another book, and it's about time



I'm fairly certain I haven't reviewed this book yet, but considering my uncertainty I'll make the review brief. If you've been following the news in the past few months you may have noticed that Warren Jeffs, the leader of a huge polygamous cult in the southwest was arrested and is being tried for statutory rape. Generally I'm pretty open to people's beliefs, but this guy is a real piece of work. Krakauer's book explores the extra-legal society that exists around Colorado City, Arizona and about murders that were committed by members of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints. The book is engaging as well as frightening in it's examination of fundamentalism as a whole. The book did however receive some pretty strong condemnation from the more mainstream section of the LDS church, which is not too surprising, but is unfortunate. (see here)



Currently listening to: (possibly my favorite cd of the moment)



Currently reading:

1 Comments:

Blogger Meghann said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your Christmas present :0) Great tunes!

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog